Sunday, March 29, 2015

Oh Scrap! for the end of March

At the last Sunset Quilters Quilt Guild meeting one of my "regulars" handed me a bag of scraps. Inside were all these lovely triangle pieces. Stop me from myself. I pulled them out and set them beside the machine to sew together as leaders and enders. She had just cut the pieces off  so they were not all uniform in size nor did they have a smooth cut edge. I had been sewing some 1 1/2" squares together and making them into little four patchs to set in the middle square of a square in a square block and the light bulb went on. If I made little pinwheel blocks, squared them up to 2 1/2" then  I could do the same thing. So the sequence above shows the few remaining triangle pieces, a few HST's, One pinwheel block that has been squared to 2 1/2" and then a contrast set of triangles to make a final square in a square block. I will admit I did have the nerve to ask her if she had any strips left that I might be able to use for the outer triangles. I needed 2 2 1/2" squares for each block. She had a couple and I rummaged through my stash. I think I will end up with a nice little quilt out of this exercise.
I taught another class for the new quilt shop this week and took in a sample quilt for another class that will be happening in April. Probably just a little busier than I really need to be these days. Piecefully, Joanne
Linking up with Cynthia at quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com  on Oh Scrap! Sunday afternoon

3 comments:

  1. What little treasures you received! Love what you are making with them. Thanks for sharing on Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinwheels are my default when I have "bonus" triangles for the reason you state: they can be trimmed to a regular size. Will watch for the finished project. Visiting from Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little blocks are adorable. I don't think I'd be able to keep them as a leaders/enders project. I'd end up taking a break from the quilt I was supposed to be working on to finish the blocks for that quilt top.

    ReplyDelete