Saturday, May 20, 2017

Hands to Help finale, some more scrap quilts ready to donate

Both Hands to Hands quilt tops finished, washed and ready to donate. With the ridiculously high postage rates, especially to the US, these two quilts will be donated to the Scrap Bag Quilters of Saugeen Shores for local distribution as needed. It was nice to have two holders so the quilts could go up beside each other. Each quilt is made from the same pattern and totally made from scraps, except for the backings. It is a pattern I called 9 patch bricks but as you look at it you can see many other possible organizers for the scraps. I stitched two bricks together along the long side and generally pressed towards the darker of the two bricks. Then I made 9 patch blocks using a pair of bricks as one of the patches. I altered the orientation of the bricks within the block and also rotated every other block when organizing the top. I find that making the smaller units and building to a larger unit helps me scatter the colours throughout the top more easily.
I have been trying to make more finishes rather than tops, but I am like a kid in a candy shop when I see new ideas, I just need to try it. Piecefully, Joanne

Linking up with Cynthia at Oh Scrap! (here) and Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict (here) for the finale of this year's Hands to Help challenge. J

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts for a great cause. LOVE the colors. Thanks for helping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done! I'm sure someone will be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so pretty! Such a good idea for scrap quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your two quilts are colorful and bright. They look great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blue one is right up my alley.. my favorites colors and scrappy and fun. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're beautiful! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two beautiful bright quilts! Thanks so much for participating in H2H this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you on the postage, I'm in the US and it still cost a little too much to send! I will definitely look into some local charities next year. These two quilts are so dang cute! I love that you kept them in the same color family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilts! Thanks for donating your time and talents :)

    ReplyDelete