Sunday, March 30, 2014

If a picture is worth a thousand words.....

Sarah is holding a link up for your favourite tutorial, or recipe to use while stitching or technique. The photo above is a simple attempt to explain my absolute favourite go to block for a community out reach quilt. The block is made using bricks. The ones in the photo are 1 1/2" by 2 1/2" but you can use any size brick...2 1/2" by 4 1/2", or 3 1/2" by 6 1/2". Some of the reasons I like this block for community outreach sewing is that it is relatively easy to organize a kit. All pieces are cut to the same size. As you are sewing it is self correcting. When the blocks are assembled into rows they are set so that the centre pair is vertical then horizontal and the repeat. this means there are very few places where seams have to meet. a bonus for some stitchers.
Steps for the block:
1 Sew two bricks together along the long edge of the brick.
2 Add a brick to the top and the bottom of previous piece.
3 Sew two sets of bricks together on their short ends.
4. Add these pieces to the sides of your step 2 piece.
I like to start with a big pile of bricks and then I can scatter the colours through out the quilt. This one will be a wild a crazy one but they can be made in just about any colour arrangement you could imagine.The quilt below was made with 2 1/2" by 4 1/2" bricks.

Brown bricks


8 comments:

  1. Oh, I like this block and quilt - would be super with a jelly roll or scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this block. It goes together so well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I think I am going to try this for one of my H2H quilts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. This is a great way to use up mu scraps. Very pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool quilt! I'll have to add this one to our quilt ministry book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this looks like I can do it! About what size is the brown quilt using the 2.5 and 4.5 bricks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this simple yet clever way of using pretty fabrics. I like the pieces to be the same size too so this one's right in my comfort zone. Thank you very much for sharing and for such clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lots of scrappy bricks. I know what some of them are going to be used for now!

    ReplyDelete