Friday, August 18, 2017

ChristaQuilts-Piece and Quilt with Precuts Day 2-Gridwork





Here she is. Gridwork from Christa Quilts brand new book Piece and Quilt with Precuts. Earlier this year Christa opened the blog hop to participants. As you follow the hop you will note that there is a nice mix of quilters, some you may know and some who might be new to you. This mix shows that this book can be used by everyone.



















When I had the blocks stitched I laid them out first to mix up the colours and secondly to turn them every whichway. A design wall would have been helpful but the design floor worked too. In the photo on the left are all the blocks marching in the same direction. You can see from that photo that not all the blocks are constructed exactly the same.









Each design comes fully illustrated including a page with a quilting suggestion. I will admit I was worried I wouldn't be successful with the selected design so reverted to my straight lines with the walking foot design. I stitched on either side of the seams in all directions and then once on the diagonal through everything.
The quilt has now been through the wash and is ready to use.
Don't have any precuts, don't worry. I did not have a layer cake and a pack of charm squares to make this design. I used a few fat quarters and some scraps and made my own. Putting this quilt together was a lot of fun and I was happy to have an excuse to dive into my black and grey and yellow collection.
Be certain to visit ChristaQuilts (here) to see how other quilters interpreted this design. The hop has just started there will be lots of eye candy and several bloggers are offering prizes so take the time to visit them all and leave a comment if you are able. Piecefully, Joanne

48 comments:

  1. It looks so great and the straight lines are always a fun favorite to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors you chose-very nice! Thank you for sharing, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt!!
    Great color/fabric choices!
    (Oh!! Those elephants!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...And, thank you for sharing your process!
      I appreciate seeing how Makers work!
      Pat T.

      Delete
  4. I love the colors and the feeling of the design layout your chose. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like yellow, gray, and black together! Your quilt turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this color combination.....haven't made one yet but I have been collecting fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the quilt and the colors. Looks great together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. Love your colours. I use my stash as well as don't have many precuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you could make it work with FQs. I also like your process for putting the design together. Thanks for the hints!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt!! Thank you!!
    kcummings71@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turned out great, love the yellow. Jmikebalou (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your color choices. And the shot of the finished blocks reminds me of Arizona. They could be adobe houses. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your quilt. You for a great job with putting the colors together. cknapp3626(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its been awhile since I have made a grey and yellow quilt. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your color selection...your quilt turned out great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great colors! Thank you for sharing your quilt with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very lively colors and great design = a stunning quilt! lutzcats (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like grays in quilts. Looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great color combinations and the elephants are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the way you chose to lay out the blocks. Lots of motion! Thanks for sharing your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks great! Love the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the combination of colors you selected! Very nice!
    cathylouwilson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. very nice. I like the yellow and dark colors together. Who would've thought.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've always wanted to make a yellow/gray/black quilt. Yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice color choice - adds to the movement of the quilt! My daughter would love this quilt, just her colors.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the pattern and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love To see how each persin makes the pattern on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great pattern and I love your color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your choice of grey and yellow

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely quilt - I like the use of grey and yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your quilt and your choice of colors and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing - I love your quilt and the fabric you choose

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your color choices. grey is my new fave neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This would be a great quick charity quilt. Thank.s

    ReplyDelete
  35. Joanne....my floor works as my design wall too:) I love the layout variation w/the Gridwork blocks. Your diagonal straight lines add just the right angle to the quilt. Yellow and grey are a desired color for a family member of mine...hmm...the black adds some depth that gives appearance of day and night and I love that.
    schimmel(dot)db(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like your final placement of blocks. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great quilt, Joanne! Love the colors, there's something about black/grey/yellow that draws me.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the blocks in different directions. Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  39. My daughter would love this pattern and the color scheme. I'm looking for a quilt idea and this might just be it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the color combo of your Gridworks quilt :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete